Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Sunday, October 7, 2007

General update

I had better start posting more often, or I'm never going to catch up with him.

I'm nervous. We see the high risk doctor in OKC on Monday, and we also get an ultrasound - Maybe a 3d, maybe not, but certainly one of better quality than the ones we've been having. Then we have "genetic counseling". I realize the reason for this is because I'm carrying twins and because I'm 35 (shudder), but it's scary nonetheless. And yes, I know this isn't rational- The babies have been doing great so far and I'm at 17 weeks now, which is getting further and further into the "safe zone". But I can't help it. I'm a worrier by nature.

I'm going to be delivering in OKC. This relieves me and scares me at the same time. This hospital is one of the best in Oklahoma and is the ONLY one in OK with a level III NICU. This means that if the babies come early, and they likely will, they will be well taken care of. It also means the possibility of living at a hospital in OKC for awhile, particularly if I end up on hospital bedrest, another real possibility with twins.

Twins almost always come early, and in my first pregnancy I had a vertical incision on the uterus. This means that I am at increased risk for uterine rupture as my uterus gets stretched, and FURTHER increased risk if I go into labor. So the goal will be to keep the babies in as long as possible without stretching my uterus beyond its limit and without going into labor, which is a challenge when you're dealing with twins.

A good friend of mine had her fraternal twin girls at 32 weeks and after a short and uneventful (Thank God) stay in the NICU, they went home healthy. They are now two and ready to take over the world. Things like this are a great relief to me.

I know I don't have pre eclampsia- My tests have been fine and I don't have any swelling. In fact I've LOST weight so far. But my blood pressure has been hovering aroud 135- 140 over the 80s and that concerns me. I hope that the doctor in OKC will be understanding of my concern and possibly even consider prescribing one of the safer blood pressure medications. That's just something I don't want to mess around with. I haven't been tested yet for gestational diabetes, which surprises me since, with hypoglycemia, my age, and twins, I am at increased risk for it. I assume that test will happen soon. I hope so - Even though I almost hate to know, the sooner they catch a potential problem, the better for all.

I'm over my episode of panic from the other night and am feeling the babies again- a LOT. Wiggles all over the place. What a relief! I can't wait until their daddy and brother are able to feel them move around and kick!

OOH! A big plus about the appointment on Monday- The possibility that we might come home knowing if we are having little girls or boys... or both...

No comments: